Every year when January comes, people think about changing something about their lives and it is usually related to weight loss. As a personal trainer, it’s great for business, but I would also like to see changes to everyone’s lifestyles that make lasting results, year round so that the next year, you just keep doing what you’ve already been doing!
Here are a few habits I have noticed about people that have success losing weight and keeping it off:
- Make exercise or physical activity a part of your daily ritual, like brushing your teeth. You don’t have to work out every day, just make more active decisions, like parking at the far end of the parking lot, get up from your desk a few times a day at work, take the stairs, walk the dog, etc.
- Make healthy foods convenient. Make meals ahead of time and keep it either in the freezer or refrigerator so that you always have something ready. Keep healthy snacks with you in the car or at work so that you avoid moments of weakness. When you’re in a hurry, make a meal replacement shake.
- “Out of sight, out of mind” and “in sight, in mind”. Keep unhealthy foods in your house put away, or better yet, don’t buy them! Keep healthy foods where you can see them, like a basket of fruit on the kitchen counter.
- When you are browsing the fridge or the pantry, think first. Are you actually hungry? Don’t eat out of boredom, better yet go workout!
- Don’t justify eating ice cream because you worked out. Just because you worked out doesn’t mean that you can eat whatever you want, you won’t gain any ground on losing weight.
- Don’t obsess about messing up your diet for one meal. Don’t beat yourself up; nobody is going to eat absolutely perfect all the time. Don’t discourage yourself!