Watch this video, it’s only 14 min of your life but could help you add years to it!
This will help you understand why our country has an obesity problem. Here are some take away points:
– Sugar from fruit is fine since it is in such small amounts and fruit has fiber that slows the absorption of sugar into the blood stream.
– Limit or stay away from foods that have high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), start looking at your food labels, if there are too many ingredients you cannot pronounce, you probably should try to stay away from it.
– Since the movement to take fat out of food or have low fat foods, sugar or HFCS was added to make low fat food taste good. Since this movement for low fat food, many diseases such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes, metabolic syndrome etc. have skyrocketed.
– Some cancers can grow larger due to insulin, another reason not to have excess sugar in your diet! Your body will release more insulin in response to sugar intake.
– Your brain has the same response to sugar as it does to cocaine!
– Men and women should consume less than 150 and 100 grams of sugar respectively a day.
In Summary, you should limit your sugar intake as well as eat a balanced diet of protein, carbohydrates and fats. You should also make changes in your lifestyle by adding in more physical activity and exercise.